Guessing is an art. There are a lot of small tricks that can help. Before I begin let me clarify that blind guessing is never going to help. Which is why negative marking is added to discourage students?
• Learn to judge question difficulty : Before you go for a guess you should have some idea about the difficulty level of the question. This can be learnt by rigorous practice. Most coaching institutes present a paper analysis after every monthly or phase test. Sit and go through the paper and difficulty analysis. This will help you learn. Knowing this helps since you can choose how loose a guess are you ready to risk.
• Don’t be Bob : Bob is your average student. He gets all of the easy questions correct; he gets some of the medium questions correct; he gets all of the hard questions wrong.Bob is predictable. He gets all of the easy questions right because the choices that look correct are correct. He gets all of the hard questions wrong because the choices that look correct are wrong. If you know what Bob will do, you can make better decisions!
If you’re working on an easy question, the answer that seems right probably is. If you’re working on a hard question, the answer that seems right is always wrong. Use this strategy to help you eliminate choices for difficult questions.
• POE – Process of elimination : Don’t know the right answer? No problem! It happens. But if you know which choices are definitely wrong , you will significantly improve your chances of getting the question right.Each question has 4 possible choices. Eliminate one or more possibilities, and your chances of guessing correctly are 25% or better. An incorrect guess will cost you a point, a correct guess will get you 4.
Let’s say there are 8 questions where you eliminate 1 choice and guess among the remaining 3 choices. Statistically, you will guess correctly 2 times and incorrectly 6 times (25% success rate). You are rewarded 8 points and penalized 6 points. You just earned 2 points from guessing. Congrats–you’ve improved your rank!
This guessing strategy with just 3 choices is better than leaving all those 8 questions.
• The Fault in our stars : In theory the above process sounds great. There is a serious flaw in this strategy, however: The method assumes that you are guessing randomly. Randomness is a difficult concept to grasp. Random guessing means that if you are presented with 3 answer choices, you will pick one answer choice without any prejudice, partiality, or predisposition. But that isn’t how any student “guesses” on the NIMCET.Your guess is always biased in some way, because you have an inclination to one answer choice and an aversion to others. What makes matters even worse is that the PUNE and NIMCET is really, really, really good at making wrong answer choices look appealing to unsure students, especially on difficult NIMCET questions. If you remove randomness from the equation, your chance of guessing the correct answer actually becomes less than 25 percent.
• More POE : If you are not sure about the strategy above then go one step ahead for a particular or more questions. If you can eliminate at least two answer choices on a question, you should guess with as little bias as possible from the remaining answer choices. If you cannot eliminate at least two incorrect answer choices, you should leave the question blank.Eliminate bias from guessing as much as you can. If you think that the answer to a particular question cannot be (B) because you have filled in (B) for the last three questions, you are not eliminating bias. If you think that the answer to a particular math question is (C) because it is easily derivable from the numbers in the question, you are not eliminating bias. To eliminate bias, let your pencil land on a random letter and choose that answer.
• Method of Assumption : This is another important method. In some of the questions, some unknown quantities will be given. Here, we assign some values to these quantities without changing the conditions given. This is almost similar to the method of substitution.
• Reverse engineering : Reverse engineering, taking step backward. Instead of solving complete equation, we just apply value in the equation to see if it solves it.
• Discard highest and lowest outliers : Outliers mean choices having extreme values. If your test paper has any question which have answers in numerical values, discard the extremes. In 60% cases, the highest and lowest values are not right. So, be very careful while choosing the answer. They have high probability of being wrong. So candidates can safely stay away from this unfamiliar zone.
• Avoid extreme: Avoid extremes is a must for mcq tricks when you have answers in numerical values. You might often get answer options with some highest and lowest value and majority of the cases the extremes are incorrect answers so you should stay away from them.
• Dimension analysis: Dimension analysis is important especially for physics paper. Suppose there is a question where you need to find the value of speed and in this case you need to filter out the answers options which do not have its dimensions. This process will allow you to save time.
• Gambling between 2 options: When pressed with 2 options of the mcq tricks you might gamble between 2 probable options. You can gamble on the remaining 2 when you ruled out the other 2 options by either using the method of avoiding the extreme values lyrics for units or values.
• Get your head clear about the marking scheme: You need to closely follow the marking scheme as we will help you understand how you proceed with the question paper and also lookout for questions which carry no negative mark like match the following. You should never fail to attend those questions and ensure that you make the most out of it.
• Be calm: Even though it might sound literally common but it is important step as you need to read through every instruction provided and get a perfect understanding of the questions and then proceed to solve it. Time management is important but being in hurry breaks up the scope for silly mistakes.
ALL The Best Guys